Easy 4th of July Treat for Kids
Getting kids in the kitchen to help with dessert is easy but finding a recipe that is kid-friendly to prepare can be a little more challenging. With summer coming up we’ve found the perfect red, white, and blue dessert that kids can make too! This easy 4th of July treat for kids from GKC looks festive and tastes delicious!
Ingredients and Supplies
- 32 oz. Vanilla or Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 T. Honey
- Red and Blue Fruit (blueberries and strawberries or raspberries)
- 9 x 13 pan
- Parchment paper
How to make an Easy 4th of July Snack
- Place a piece of parchment paper inside the pan to cover the bottom and sides.
- Mix the yogurt and honey together and spread in a thick layer inside the pan.
- Cut off the stem of the strawberries and slice the strawberries in half. If kids are doing this part of the prep, make sure they’re using the knife with guidance. Dull dinner knives can even cut through strawberries if you have one handy.
- Lay the strawberries (or raspberries) in a long horizontal stripe across the yogurt. These are the red stripes on the flag. Skip an equal-sized stripe, leaving the white yogurt exposed, and continue the pattern down the pan. Leave a square that can be filled with blueberries to create the blue part of the flag. About 4″x 5″ in the upper left-hand corner of the pan.
- Fill the last part of the flag with blueberries.
- Chill this treat for kids in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours before serving.
Happy Fourth of July!
Offer to bring a dessert to the family barbecue and bring this healthy treat for kids. Plus, kids will be proud to show off their skills in the kitchen to family and friends. We usually leave this type of treat in the refrigerator until after the burgers have been eaten so it stays out of the afternoon sun. This easy 4th of July snack also makes a great mid-summer afternoon snack, or even a surprise breakfast for kids.