Kitchen Science Why Do Apples Turn Brown?
Have you ever wondered why apples turn brown when exposed to air? If you slice an apple and pack it for lunch you’ll find apple slices that have turned a light shade of brown when you open your lunch bag. Let’s look at why apples turn brown for today’s kitchen science experiment and see if we can find a way to keep them fresh.
- An apple
- A butter knife or apple cutter
- Cutting board
- Lemon Juice
- Cup of Water
Why Do Apple Slices Turn Brown?
Now let’s try to keep the apple slices from browning.
- Keep the slices soaked in water before you eat them to prevent the oxygen from getting to the enzymes inside.
- Coat slices lightly in honey
- Dip the fruits in lemon juice.
Wait for a couple hours and then check on your apple slices. Which apple slices kept their color and which slices turned brown?
Green Kid Crafts make great gifts!
Shop early for the holidays and give the gift of a Green Kid Crafts subscription. Order by age 2-4, or 5-10, or upgrade to a literary subscription to include books with the boxes.
Every month, delight your child with a package that includes:
• Up to 6 or more STEAM kits
• Quality project materials
• Step-by-step instructions
• 12-page activity magazine
• Achievement badges