Summer Fun: Make a Sprinkler from a Recycled Soda Bottle
Cool off and get your kids involved in an activity for the afternoon by making your very own sprinkler! This DIY sprinkler made from a recycled soda bottle can actually be made from almost any type of plastic beverage container. So grab an empty milk carton, orange juice carton, or a soda bottle and some tape for backyard fun!
- This project does need adult supervision.
- 2 Liter Soda Bottle (or similar container)
- Duct Tape
- Knife or other sharp object
How to make a Sprinkler from a Soda Bottle
- Have an adult poke holes in a line down the sides of the soda bottle with a knife.
- Connect the open end of the bottle to the end of a hose and wrap tightly with duct tape to connect the two together.
- Turn on the hose and wait for the pressure to build up.
- Water sprays out just like a real sprinkler!
Have fun jumping through the spraying water made from a recycled bottle!
Extended Activity Ideas:
- Make the sprinkler part of a backyard obstacle course. Jump through water, pop a water balloon over your head, wade through a kiddle pool and hop over pool noodles lined up on the grass.
- Experiment with different sizes of bottles. How is the spray different with each size of bottle? What about smaller and larger holes in your diy sprinkler?
- Place bath coloring tablets in the bottle before you turn the hose on. What color is the water spraying from your diy sprinkler?
Green Kid Craft Boxes make Great Gifts for Kids!
Our Discovery Boxes for kids pack a lot of fun and learning into convenient packages. Developed by teachers, crafty moms and STEAM experts (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) to support key developmental skills for kids ages 3-10, each Discovery Box celebrates creativity with craft projects and activates thinking, questioning, inquiring, and original creation as we guide children through fun science experiments. Each box contains 4-8 Creativity and STEAM Kits, extension activities, and a 20+ page themed Green Kid Activity Guide.