Paper Crafts: Easy Origami Heart
Have you ever tried origami? The art of folding paper into different shapes is gaining in popularity though it’s not a new idea. I’ve been using this easy origami heart tutorial for years and it’s one of the most popular ways of folding a paper heart.
I haven’t quite switched over to digital magazines (yes, I know I should) so I have a few that I’ve read but haven’t dropped in the recycle bin. A great way to re-use magazine pages or newspaper ads is to create art! After the origami heart tutorial, be sure to scroll down to check out the beautiful hearts we folded from the pages of a magazine!
How to make a DIY Origami Heart
- Cut a piece of paper into a square. Fold one side over to meet the opposite side and create a seam. Repeat with the second side of the paper to form another seam.
- Open the paper up as shown.
- Next fold the top corner of the paper down to the middle seam.
- Fold the bottom corner up to meet the top of the paper.
- Fold the right side of the paper towards the center and align it with the inner seam.
- Repeat with the left side of the paper.
- Turn the paper over and fold the corners that are marked inward.
- Turn the paper back over and your origami heart is complete!
We made these beautiful hearts from the pages of a magazine. I was sure to choose pages that had bold prints or a pretty background color. My younger kids love to hold their origami hearts and play with them though they’re too young to make the heart on their own. My older kids like the process of making a heart and adding it to their bulletin board as a keepsake. What will you do with your origami heart?