10+ Scented Playdough and Paint DIY Recipes
Making scented playdough and paint are fun DIY projects for sensory play, calm downtime, and seasonal activities. We recently made scented lavender playdough for evening play to help the kids calm down before bed. The kids play with their homemade playdough while I read them a story or just during the quiet media-free time. I’m sharing the recipe with you today, and nine more of my favorite scented playdough and paint DIY recipes!
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Hot Water
- 1/2 Cup Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Cream of Tartar
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 6-8 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- Food Coloring (optional)
- Combine the flour, salt, Cream of Tartar, essential oil, vegetable oil and a few drops of food coloring in a bowl. Slowly stir in 1 cup of hot water and continue adding water until you have the desired consistency for playdough.
- Shape the playdough into a ball and knead on a hard surface adding flour as necessary to any leftover sticky spots. You can also fold in more color or essential oil at this time if you’d like a darker hue or stronger scent.
- Divide the playdough into small bags or plastic containers for storage.
More Scented DIY Playdough and Paint Recipes
I asked a few of my favorite bloggers to share their own scented playdough and paint recipes and their responses blew me away! Scroll down to find creative play ideas for kids!
Calm and Cozy Scented Play Dough Ideas
Invigorating Scented Play Dough Ideas
DIY and Scented Paint Ideas
Painting or drawing is a great way for older kids to calm down. Did you know you can add scent to homemade paints? Here are a couple of great posts about making your own!
If you’re not already a Green Kid Crafts subscriber, don’t wait another day to join! Single-purchase boxes are available, too!