Melted Crayons Turn into New Crayons with the Sun!
Broken crayons happen. You can melt them into something new using the heat from the sun! The sun during a hot summer day has the power to fry an egg on the sidewalk, change solid water into liquid, and even melt pieces of crayons. Using just a few tool you can recycle the old unused crayons into new shapes. The shapes can be a rainbow of colors or solid, and make great new crayons. Use this diy project melted crayons can be a lesson in how the sun heats the earth!
- Recycled/Broken/Old crayons
- Cookie cutter shapes
- Aluminum foil
- Cookie sheet or plate
How to use the Sun to Melt Crayons
- Put your cookie cutter shapes on the cookie sheet
- Peel off any paper from the crayons
- Break crayons into smaller pieces and put inside of your cookie cutter shape
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil to increase heat
- Place in direct sunlight so that the crayons melt, add glitter for sparkling crayons
More Ideas for Sun Melted Crayons
- Crayons can also be melted into silicone molds that are usually used for baking. These molds come is a variety of fun shapes and sizes.
- Melt crayons for your next party favor in a mini cupcake baking sheet or silicone cupcake liners.
- Melted solar crayons make a great start to a science themed party too!
Learn more with with our Green Energy Discovery Box!
Kids will have a blast learning about Green Energy with these creative, educational STEM science projects! Our Green Energy Discovery Box teaches kids about renewable energy and how it can be generated from natural resources such as sunlight, hot springs, wind, rain, and tides. Kids will design a solar oven that really works, create their own hydro-powered water wheel, build a wood tug boat that runs on kinetic energy, and have fun with wind rockets.