Volcano Activity for Kids
We’re really getting into fall here on the blog as you can see in our recent apple themed posts and our leaf decoration. This week we’re adding a twist to a classic science activity by experimenting with a fizzy gourd volcano. I picked up a small bag of gourds at the grocery store along with some baking soda and vinegar. We’re adding a little more fizz and a lot more color to these gourds with our fun fall science activity!
- Small gourd
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- Orange or green food coloring
How to make a Volcano from a Gourd
- Start by placing the gourd on a flat surface to find how it sits without rolling or falling over. If needed, use a knife to create a flattened surface on the bottom side of the gourd.
- Cut into the gourd like you would a pumpkin, removing the top portion and stem. Gourds can be hard to cut through so this part is definitely a job for a grown-up!
- Hollow out the inside of the gourd by removing the seeds and pulp with a spoon.
- Pour enough baking soda into the gourd to fill it about halfway. Add a few drops of food coloring to 1/2 cup of vinegar.
- Slowly pour the vinegar into the gourd to create a fizzy volcano!
- The baking soda and vinegar react to create a bubbling eruption. Try using differently shaped gourds for a different effect!
If you’re not already a Green Kid Crafts subscriber, don’t wait another day to join! Single-purchase boxes are available, too!
From $17.95 / month! Monthly boxes come with 3-4 award winning Creativity and STEM Science Kits (science, technology, engineering, and math) designed by experts around national standards to build confidence, flex creativity, and make kids smarter. All materials and instructions included, along with some fun extras! Each Discovery Box is created around an exciting new theme each month (think Safari Science, Nocturnal Animals, Backyard Science, Ocean, and Mad Scientist). You can cancel anytime. Join Green Kid now!