This magic box is sure to delight your child when they perform for their loved ones using their new magic box they have built themselves! Most of these items you will have laying around your house, which makes this a magically easy project to do!
- Black Construction Paper
- Colored Construction Paper for Decorating
- Measuring Tape
- Cardboard Boxes
How to make your own Magic Box
- Take apart your empty Green Kid Crafts box, lay it flat, and measure out seven 3.5″ x 3.5″squares. Cut out the squares.
- Glue black paper on one side of 6 of the squares. Add black paper to both sides of the 7th square.
- Create a box by taping four of the squares together with the black side facing in.
- Make a secret compartment! Tape the square with black construction paper on both sides to another square like a hinge as shown. Then, put it inside the box you created in the previous step. The hinged piece should fit snugly in the box.
- Secure the bottom of the hinged piece with tape at the bottom of the box.
- Use the last cardboard square to make a lid for your box. Add the colored paper to the inside and outside. Secure one end to the top of the box like a hinge.
- Decorate the magic box with markers, glitter, or any other art materials you have on hand
The Magic Trick
Lift the secret compartment part up and hide small items like scarves, toys or stickers. Close the hinged piece of cardboard and show your audience what appears to be an empty box.
Reach your hand in the box and lift the hinge by using your finger to pull up from the hole in the corner. Tuck the hinged piece against the wall to conceal it. Show your audience what magically appeared in the box!
Join Green Kid Crafts Today!
Our Discovery Boxes for kids pack a lot of fun and learning into convenient packages. Developed by teachers, crafty moms and STEAM experts (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) to support key developmental skills for kids ages 3-10, each Discovery Box celebrates creativity with craft projects and activates thinking, questioning, inquiring, and original creation as we guide children through fun science experiments. Each box contains 4-8 Creativity and STEAM Kits, extension activities, and a 20+ page themed Green Kid Activity Guide. Subscribe today!