How to make Dog and Cat Toys from a Tee Shirt
Outgrown tee shirts make great dog and cat toys! Usually I donate clothes we no longer need, but recently I decided to try making a few toys for our pets. This is a great project for kids to make as gifts for their pets.
One child’s tee shirt can make two dog toys and two cat toys in just a few minutes. I grabbed a shirt my son outgrew in size 3T; larger shirts will make toys for larger dogs.
- 1 Shirt
How to Make a Dog Toy from a Tee Shirt
I’ve included both written and visual directions because this really is easier than it sounds!
- Cut along the seam on the side of the shirt from the bottom up to the seam of the sleeve.
- Continue cutting along the seam going up and over the shoulder and back down towards the side seam. The sleeve should now be completely detached.
- Repeat on the second side of the shirt. Set the sleeves and back of the shirt aside.
- Lay the front of the shirt flat and cut into 3-4 pieces lengthwise from bottom to top.
- Gather the pieces together and tie a knot as close to one end of the strips as possible.
- Separate the strips into 3 rows and braid until you reach the bottom.
- Tie another knot as close to that end as possible.
- Repeat with the back of the tee shirt to make a second toy.
How to Make a Cat Toy from a Shirt
- Cut along the seam of a detached sleeve to create one flat piece of fabric.
- Pinch the center of the fabric and wrap a scrap piece of the shirt around the top portion and tie.
- Using scissors, cut the fabric from the bottom up towards the part that you tied to create what looks like a tassel.
- Repeat with the second sleeve to make another toy.