Traveling Water Experiment
Is it possible to make water travel from one cup to another on a string? This experiment will show you how you can make water travel down the string without touching the ground, and into a different cup. Kids can make predictions, observe, and document the results of this traveling water experiment.
- 2 cups, 1 filled with water
- Cotton string
- Food coloring
- Scotch tape
How to make Water Travel on a String
- Tape one end of the string to the inside bottom of a cup.
- Fill the other cup with water and add food coloring. Put the free end of the string in the water.
- Hold the cup with water up but not directly over the empty cup. Be careful that the string in the empty cup does not come out.
- Carefully pour water out of the full cup onto the string.
- Soak the entire string in water and try again. The water will travel from the full cup through the string to the empty cup.
Did your water travel to another cup? Using food coloring and a light colored string will make this experiment more visually appealing.
More Water Science for Kids
Explore these water experiments from Green Kid Crafts:
Green Kid Crafts Subscriptions make Great Gifts!
Our Discovery Boxes for kids pack a lot of fun and learning into convenient packages. Developed by teachers, crafty moms and STEAM experts (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) to support key developmental skills for kids ages 3-10, each Discovery Box celebrates creativity with craft projects and activates thinking, questioning, inquiring, and original creation as we guide children through fun science experiments. Each box contains 4-8 Creativity and STEAM Kits, extension activities, and a 20+ page themed Green Kid Activity Guide.