STEM Robot Pool Noodle Craft
STEM activities for kids are a combination of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. Here, we add an “A” for “Art” to turn STEM into STEAM. By encouraging creative thinking and problem-solving in your child you are helping prepare for your child’s future success by developing their divergent thinking skills!
Combine drawing and engineering with your own DIY art drawing machine. This art project for kids is easy enough that even my preschoolers were able to create their own noodle bot (with a bit of adult help). The best part of this project is you only need materials from the Dollar Store, no special motor or tools required!
- Pool noodle
- Electric toothbrush
How to make a Noodle Bot
1. Cut pool noodle to a length that is slightly larger than the toothbrush, about an inch longer.
2. Insert toothbrush into pool noodle.
3. Tape each marker to the noodle so as to create a 3 legged stool. It may be easier to also wrap the tape around the whole noodle to capture the markers more securely.
4. Decorate your pool noodle. Be creative! We used pipe cleaners for arms, pom poms for hair and adhesive google eyes.
5. Place your Noodle-Bot on some paper and turn on the toothbrush. Watch the magic happen!
So if you liked the noodle bot project, you’ll like these others too:
You can also find projects like this on our Facebook page!
Our Robot Workshop Discovery Box contains FIVE award-winning Creativity and STEM Science Kits! Your pint-sized robotic engineers will design and create their own Artbot to make artistic swirls, make a Magnetbot and “teach” it to go through a maze, construct a Glidebot and watch it fly, and create habitats for their own Hexbug Nano pet! This Discovery Box celebrates thinking, questioning and original creation with fun and creative projects that will have everyone tinkering and playing long afterwards.